Laminate flooring durability is rated according to a special classification, from the AC1 up to AC5 which is the highest rating.
The AC rating is the measurement which specifies the durability level of laminate flooring. AC ratings are applied to laminate floors by an independent organisation known as European Producers of Laminate Flooring (EPLF). These ratings provide a summary of a laminate’s resistance to stress and abrasion, helping buyers understand the difference in durability among laminate flooring products.
To assign an AC rating, a series of tests are performed to assess each line of laminate flooring for resistance to scratches, impact, burns and stains. These tests also examine the effects of furniture legs, castors and thickness swelling along plank edges. Laminate flooring is given a rating only if it has passed all of the tests, as failing a single test disqualifies the product.
ABRASION CLASS (AC) RATING FOR LAMINATE FLOORING
- AC1 – Moderate Domestic: Only suitable for light residential use such as in closets or bedrooms.
- AC2 – General Domestic: This class of laminate can handle moderate foot traffic and can also be used in the majority of rooms such as dining rooms or living rooms.
- AC3 – Heavy Domestic/Light Commercial: Suitable for every room in the house, including high-traffic areas. Also suitable for commercial spaces with light traffic (such as small offices or hotel rooms).
- AC4 – Heavy Domestic/Medium Commercial: Suitable for all residential uses as well as commercial spaces with heavy foot traffic like offices, cafes, and boutiques.
- AC5 – Heavy Commercial: Suitable for commercial use in high-traffic spaces like department stores and public buildings.
Based on the above, AC4 is the most widely used laminate flooring, suitable for heavy domestic and medium commercial use; however, AC5 Heavy Commercial laminate is becoming very popular not just for commercial projects, but also for residential buyers who want the most durable floor surface possible.
We hope you enjoyed our explanation of the laminate flooring durability classification system.